Welcome to the Highlights Report for NCCI’s Annual Issues Symposium (AIS) 2019.
The theme for this year’s event was Powered by Insight, and I’m sure you will find exactly that—powerful insights—in the videos and presentations from this year’s talented group of presenters.
Our sessions included:
- State of the Line Report—NCCI’s Chief Actuary, Kathy Antonello, delivered the quintessential breakdown of what’s happening in workers compensation
- Work Comp vs. Group Health—The Price We Pay—Barry Lipton, FCAS, MAAA, Practice Leader and Senior Actuary, NCCI
- Game Changers and the New Workplace—NCCI’s Sean Cooper, FCAS, MAAA, Practice Leader and Senior Actuary and Raji Chadarevian, Director, Medical Regulations & Informatics
- Guest presenters:
- The Economics of Workers Compensation, Robert P. Hartwig, PhD, CPCU,
Clinical Associate Professor of Finance, Darla Moore School of Business, University of South Carolina
- TRIA Renewal—Action & Reaction, David Priebe, Vice Chairman, Guy Carpenter & Company
- Cognitive Collaboration—Why Data Science Needs Human-Centered Design,
Jim Guszcza, US Chief Data Scientist, Deloitte Analytics
- 21st Century Threats to Worker Health and Safety, John Howard, MD, Director,
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
Of course, you will also find my opening remarks where I shared my view on the current market and emphasized the importance of timely data, strong core functions, and trust and transparency in maintaining market stability. I also introduced this year’s word—Delivering—as a reminder that we must continue delivering on our 100-year-old promise to workers and their families.
I sincerely hope you find this AIS 2019 highlights report insightful, and I invite you to pass it on to others who also share in our collective promise.